Have you witnessed staff acting in an unprofessional manner? If so, what can you do to avoid
pitfalls associated with unprofessional behavior?
Yes, I have witnessed staff acting in an unprofessional manner. I had a staff member at another school tell other staff members that I "hated" her. I was shocked and confused once this got back to me. I had no idea what she was talking about. In my opinion, I always said good morning to her and I feel like I am a happy, approachable person. I felt like I was back in high school. I was disappointed in her for not coming to talk to me directly and instead, spread rumors. I felt this was very unprofessional and immature. I still feel that way, 7 years later.
I did take the high road and approached her. I told her what I had heard and that I was sorry if I every did anything to upset her. She could not give me an answer as to why she felt that way about me. I guess you can't please everyone. However, approaching her about it prevented anything else from happening from her. The ironic thing about this all is that I really had no opinion of her before all of this. Afterwards, I stay clear of her and don't trust her.
I don't think people in a working relationship should be talking bad about one another. I am sure that I have been guilty of this, as I am human. However, I remind myself every day to mind my own business. If it doesn't involve me then I don't need to give my two-cents without anyone's solicitation.
Taking the high road is not an easy choice, but it is a wise choice. We are the ultimate walking textbook and students, even when we don't think they are watching, see our interactions. What we naturally practice and implement across our lives seeps into what our students experience and ultimately learn! Thanks for sharing:)
ReplyDelete