Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Blog Assignment 1

I am really proud of the growth my students have already shown.  They have matured in the 7 shorts week that we have already completed.  They are a chatty group.  However, they have demonstrated that they can get down to business and complete their assignments.  I know they respect me and enjoy my teaching style.  I can be fun, but they also know when I need them to get to work.

I am also proud of the kindness they show towards each other.  I have an autistic student and a disabled student in my class.  The others go out of their way to help them when needed and are really gentle and understanding to their needs.  It warms my heart to see such kindness, with-out me even saying anything.

My students do need to improve on their transitions from one subject to another.  They get engrossed in their work (not a bad thing!). However, they need to listen to my "5 minute" warnings and start to transition.  I am working on this and have seen slight improvement over the past week.  I am hoping by giving them a longer warning time to clean-up will help them with this area.

They also need to improve their note taking skills.  Right now, I am modeling what they need to write down or highlight.  This is a new concept for them and am hoping they improve as the year goes on. Also, their reading comprehension needs to improve.  They need to realize the questions I ask in assessments are in their notes.  The answers are literally right in front of them.  Even though I tell them this, they still rush themselves and do not look at their notes.  I am looking to improve this in the course of the year, as well.  Reminding them and showing them how to look up information and reading their questions first, might help them learn this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment