Monday, October 9, 2017

Blog Assignment #2

I feel I was too "soft" of a teacher at the beginning of the year.  I tend to naturally have a motherly tone.  I feel for them when they don't feel good or have a cut or if something else is bothering them.  I have definitely toughened up since the beginning of the year.  I am more strict on the talking.  I have gotten that under control.  There is still room for improvement.  I also am enforcing better expectations as far as lining-up and walking in the hallway.  I just recently saw footage of a 5th grade teacher and how she lined up her students.  I am now doing what she does.  She has them clear off their desks and stand quietly with their chairs pushed-in.  Then once everyone is ready, they quietly walk to line.  By adjusting my expectations just a little, control over my room has gotten better.

What has worked is incentive for a 100% on any test.  I felt like my students were rushing through their tests.  I have now offered a Hershey's chocolate bar to anyone who gets a 100%.  I had 18 out of 23 get a 100% on their vocabulary test last week.  I also had a few 100%s on a science test. I feel their science tests, overall, scored very well.  We will be having a few tests this week.  I am hoping that I will need to go out and buy more chocolate bars!  Their grades have improved a lot since my chocolate offerings. 

1 comment:

  1. It can be a hard balance...determining between too hard and too soft. I've found that there are days when I need to be stronger, and days where they need a little more grace. For example, days like this past Monday in which students have family members that attended the concert in Las Vegas. You will be able to sense times like this (if you don't already).

    Do you have a recommended site that you go to and watch strategies in action? I'm sure the rest of our cadre would love to view these in action as well!

    ReplyDelete