Over the course of the first quarter, I have slowly tighten my management style of the class. I have realized that I needed to be stricter with my routines and procedures. Being a first year teacher, I realized I was too loose. The students were too chatty and trying to negotiate everything with me. Even though I struggled with those aspects, I have never felt that they disrespected me or not trust me. I get cards and letters almost every day from at least one student thanking me for being their teacher. That feels so rewarding.
Since the first weeks of school, I have started a daily work-out/yoga routine. I do this first thing in the morning. I feel this has helped them get a good start to the day. I also have started to say sayings such as "when your eyes are on me/the board, I will know you are ready to learn". I also have fine tuned transition/lining up time. I have each student put all their items away, stand up and push in their chairs. I will say "when you have put your things away, stood-up and pushed in your chair with bubbles in your mouth, I will know you are ready to go". Once they have all done this, then I will excuse them to line-up. If anyone runs, they are to go back to their desks and try again. I will also compliment the students who are doing what they are suppose to; the ones who aren't will straighten up quickly.
I always think there is room for improvement. I am always looking for strategies to try!
You have been making the appropriate adjustments as the year progresses and gain experience. Even though your class is already well-behaved, you can keep building skills to take them from behaving to performing as a whole group in everything they do. As they become a learning community, you will find that your instruction can be inquiry based and they run the show!
ReplyDelete