Out of a scale of 1-10 on my use of using assessments in the classroom, I give myself an 8. I feel I am high on this scale because of my use of assessments. First, my team and I administered assessments at the beginning of the year in reading fluency, comprehension and math. We also do quarterly assessments in reading fluency and comprehension. At the end of the year, we will do the same assessments administered at the beginning of the year in reading fluency, comprehension and math.
I give myself an "8" because I have been wanting to do pre-test assessments in math for the chapter we will be going into. I want to be able to compare the pre-test scores to the final assessment score in order to see what they have learned. I have done this once with my homeroom class. I have not done this yet with my flex class. I haven't had time to set the pre-tests up yet. I am hoping by the next chapter, I will be able to give them a pre-test that will coincide with the actual test so I can see what they have learned.
We have used the assessments we have already conducted to create "flex" classes. We are differentiating the whole 4th grade class. The higher students go to one classroom, I have the "average" 4th grade students and my other teacher gets the students who need more attention. These classes are fluid and we will be using our 2nd quarter assessments and class tests to re-evaluate. I already have a couple students who I think should be moved up. That is great news!
Pre- and Post- tests are great in determining growth and progress but it can be very challenging to get them fit into everything else. Assessment is so essential and I find that authentic, formative assessment being my preferred, go to. One way to fit in pre-and post- is to give the pre- in the first 10 minutes of class of the first lesson of the new chapter. I take all at the end of the 10-15 minutes and then, give them the same 10-15 minute window for the post. I can gauge progress even in the number that were completed. Just a thought:)
ReplyDelete